Homestead Exemption

The Homestead Exemption Office accepts applications for the various residential exemption applications and agricultural land use applications. 

To qualify for a homestead exemption the residence must be owner occupied. All applications must be filed between the dates of January 2 and April 1 of each year.

Woman behind desk with other woman


To apply for homestead, you must bring the following:

  • All deeds to your property (recorded instruments only - warranty deeds or quit-claims - not the deed of trust).
  • Car tag numbers for all vehicles owned by you or in your possession (non-Jackson County tags must be changed before filing).
  • Social Security numbers for yourself, spouse, and any joint owners.
  • Birth dates for yourself, spouse, and any joint owners.
  • Purchase price of home.
  • Purchase price of land, if you purchased it separately from the home.
  • If you built your home yourself, we need to know the cost to build it.
  • If you live in a mobile home on your property, you must bring your mobile home registration certificate.
  • If you are 65 years of age or older, you need to bring proof of age, such as a driver's license or birth certificate.
  • If you are 100% disabled, you should inquire as to what you should do.
  • Active duty military personnel may qualify for some benefits if you own your Mississippi residence. You should contact our office to determine eligibility.