Our County’s Recreation Department is one of the largest and most diverse in Mississippi. They manage a golf course, 3 beaches, 12 community parks, and 20 public boat ramps and piers. They also average 250,000 hours of youth league activities per year.
While these numbers are the foundation of the Recreation Department, their vision is to create more opportunities for families to enjoy all of our facilities. The days of just managing baseball and soccer fields are gone. Those sports fields are now surrounded by walking tracks, tennis courts, playground equipment, and even water splash pads. We invite all citizens to come and play with us.
The Recreation Department provides services for the following recreational areas within Jackson County:
- Construction of pavilions, press boxes, concession stands, storage rooms, bathrooms, major structural repairs, plumbing repairs, paint at recreational facilities
- Cut grass, supply dirt, replace and/or maintain fences, pre-season prep, empty trash cans at parks and ball fields in the unincorporated areas of the county
- Maintain and supply and empty trash cans at public beaches and boat ramps
- Maintain and schedule events at the Vancleave Horse Arena
- Manage the day-to-day operations of Whispering Pines Golf Course in Hurley
- Placement and supervision of caretakers at recreational facilities
- Collect Fees and explain Rules for park and arena users
- Keep an updated list of League contacts (they do not organize the programs)
City of Pascagoula Parks and Recreation
City of Ocean Springs Parks and Leisure